Union Chapel was founded by Indiana pioneers!
The earliest record of formal Christian worship in the Nora area dates to 1827. A church building was finally erected in 1864, just a few blocks away from our current building. The property’s deed gave all denominations use of the building - thus the name Union Chapel.
When Nora became an Indianapolis suburb in the early 1950s, it became apparent that the first building was inadequate and so the congregation purchased a five-acre tract at the corner of East 86th Street and Haverstick Road. Our current building was dedicated in 1954.
The United Methodist Church
The people of The United Methodist Church are part of the second largest Protestant denomination in the United States. Our worldwide connection includes approximately 12.8 million members.