Act local. Love Global.
No need to pack your bags! There's plenty of work to do in our own community.
This month, Union Chapel is highlighting the importance of our mission in the world... and celebrating the good work that is ongoing in our church. If you are looking for an opportunity to get involved, this is a great month for jumping in! Below, you'll find a few of our highlighted missions activities that could use your talents and time...
1. Our longest-standing community outreach event, the free monthly community dinner, serves nearly 1000 meals each year. The meal is served on the last Wednesday of every month. Volunteering is easy! Can you plan a meal? Shop? Cook? Bake? Set a table? Wash dishes? Then you are uniquely qualified! Contact .
2. Hearts & Hands Ministry: Meets every-other-Monday evening at 6:30 p.m.Among other projects, H&H gathers to create “comfort quilts” for the ill, traumatized, and suffering in our congregation and community.
3. Creation Care: The environment is a hot-button topic and the community is responding to our efforts to create a native prairie, fruit forest, and pollinator garden -- and to teach sustainable living classes like canning, recycling, gardening, and composting. We meet monthly. For current events, email .
4. Volunteer or give to Union Chapel’s “UP LIFT” emergency food pantry to touch the lives of our neighbors in a very practical and powerful way. We’ll launch a can drive in October -- but food items and volunteers are needed year-around.
5. Our newest local missions venture is a partnership with Washington Township Schools! We have been asked to help stock a personal care pantry in the middle school for kids and families who need hygiene supplies. Please bring unopened soaps, shampoos, conditioner, deodorant, combs, and similar supplies all month to support this new project!
6. On October 25th, Union Chapel will participate in a local Habitat Interfaith Build Day. Congregational response has been swift and work spots are already filled -- but you can contact for more information on new projects!
7. A portion of our offerings in October will go to the United Methodist Committee on Relief’s hurricane relief project in the Bahamas. There’s no reason to wait for the offering plate! Send your support from wherever you stand by texting “UNIONCHAPEL” to 77977 and designating “missions”.
8. Invite friends and join us for shopping, or as a vendor, or as a volunteer at our second-annual “Fair Trade Fair and Doing-Goods Bazaar” on Saturday, November 2, from 9-3. You’ll find truly unique gift ideas -- and your holiday shopping dollars will do three times the good in this world by supporting humanitarian nonprofits across the globe, local projects, and artisans in our own community. Mark your calendar now!