Letter from Pastor Elizabeth: The "In-between" Times
September 6, 2022
We are quickly approaching my favorite time of year - fall - when the weather cools, nature takes on new colors and textures, and I can get out my favorite jackets and sweatshirts! But as it is still 80 degrees and muggy as I write this letter, I’m reminded that we are not yet there. We are in between seasons - summer is behind us (vacations and pool parties are past us), but it is not yet fall (it is still hot, humid, and very green outside). The ‘in between’ times are special though, too. They allow us to look back with gratitude and anticipate with thanksgiving, all that God has done and will do.
The staff recently reflected on this very thing… naming the things of summer that we have been grateful for, and the things of fall which are not yet, but for which we pray and wait. We identified that we are grateful for…
- Special time with family and friends over the season.
- The silver linings experienced even in illness and challenges. (God is so good!)
- Longer days, warmer weather, and fun moments we’ve squeezed in amongst the work of ministry.
And we also named the things we are looking forward to with prayerful anticipation…
- Return to schedules and routines that grow lax during the summer.
- Finishing projects that got side-lined by activities of the season - planned and unplanned!
- Harvesting the produce in gardens that have taken so much work this summer!
- All that God will do, that we’ve not even thought about yet.
What are you celebrating in this ‘in-between’ time? For what do you wait with prayer and anticipation? Drop me a line or give me a call, I’d love to hear about it and pray with you about all that has been going on with you, and all you are looking forward to.
While change in this life is inevitable, sometimes uncomfortable, almost always hopeful and promising, we can count on the One who never changes. “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” (Hebrews 13:8, NRSVUE) I pray you find your anchor in Jesus, even as you weather the changing seasons, changes in your life, and the ups and downs of this world.
If there is any way I can be helpful to you, please be in touch. You can reach me by email at , or through the church office at 317.846.3429. I would look forward to hearing from you.
And thank you for joining me in prayer for this ministry and those whom we serve. God continues to be faithful and guide us in meaningful ministry and mission. Thank you for being a part of what God is doing at Union Chapel Indy!
Rev. Elizabeth Gilbert
Union Chapel Indy, Inc.
Login/Register to leave a comment